A dental implant consists of a metal stud, which has screw-like grooves on its surface. It is the part of the implant that is inserted into the jawbone, due to which it stays hidden. A connecting element called the abutment will be placed on the implant. A ceramic crown, which is custom-fabricated, will be placed on the abutment and secured using dental adhesives. It serves as the replacement tooth structure and can be made to match the missing tooth perfectly.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants are highly stable restorations as they are inserted into the jawbone and fixed firmly using dental adhesives.
- Since they are placed in the jawbone, the gap left by the missing tooth is filled. This keeps the remaining teeth from drifting from their positions, which avoids any bite issues as well.
- The implant crown can be custom-fabricated to match the exact appearance of the natural teeth. This keeps it under disguise, allowing you to smile without being too conscious of your appearance.
- Implants offer excellent durability and longevity. With optimum care, they last upwards of ten years without any hassle.
- They hold the jawbone intact and prevent its shrinkage. This prevents a change in the jawbone shape.